Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

I'm going to go ahead....

...and blog about this. I probably shouldn't, but I guess I need to share and vent....

My daughter got sent to the principal's office last week.  (frowny face)

I did not know about it until three days later!  ...and I probably wouldn't have known about it had I not stopped the teacher after school on Friday to just ask "so, everything going okay?...."

I'm frustrated that my daughter was sent to the principal's office for misbehavior.  However, I do know that she has a semi-wild side to her, and she is very active and very "hands-on" so to speak.  Thus, the nature of the visit. More about that in a second. I'm REALLY frustrated that I was NOT TOLD that she had visited the principal's office.  Does this happen so often with students that parents are not informed each time it happens?  Even a note home that day would have been something...some type of notification.

Am I a "helicopter mom"?  Am I too involved in my kid's activities? I have done all this reading that it is a GOOD thing to be involved in your children's lives and in their school activities, etc.  I'm starting to question that.

Anyway, back to the 'why' of the trip to the principal's office....As I mentioned, Allison is very "hands on" meaning that she has always been a huggy, touchy kid...I've encouraged that at home. Again, I thought it was a good thing.  Show your kid that you love them, etc.  She loves to give hugs and kisses.  Well, she also does this at school. It was a problem in preschool and kindergarten, but I guess I thought it had been handled satisfactorily there.  This summer, we had some more issues with it.   I told a friend that we tell her so often when she goes to do something, "Now, remember, what do you do with your hands?" or something similar that I think she hears Charlie Brown's teacher's voice..."blah blah blah blah"....

This year I guess she is "punching' boys in the stomach.  Is it punching to hurt, or just kind of a jab, I don't know, and it really doesn't matter.  The little boy she sits by is taking it from her, but overall the boys don't like it, which is of course understandable.  The teacher is afraid that someone is going to retaliate (to which I thought well that would maybe help end it)...of course neither of us can encourage that.  ...and I don't want the expensive glasses to be broken...

So, what do I do?  She knows it's wrong; she knows she shouldn't do it.......but she is not mature enough yet to control herself.  This otherwise very bright little girl cannot control her .... herself...her reactions...her driven instinct....

(sigh)  It's going to be a long year.....heck, a long two years......................

Lesa
Image by Cool Text: Free Graphics Generator - Edit Image

No comments:

Post a Comment