Search This Blog

Monday, December 27, 2010

Louisiana Children's Museum in New Orleans

Well, so here we are on the last day of our vacation in New Orleans.  I had promised Allison that we would go to the Louisiana Children's Museum (we try to visit any children's museum that might be available when we are traveling - we have found many nice ones).  Bruce went off and did his own sightseeing of some of his interests, and dropped us off here. 

There were a lot of exhibits that are similar to what are in other museums, of course, but there were also some that showed the unique nature of New Orleans....a little local flavor, so to speak.

There was a display on physical fitness and strength and endurance training/testing. 


Must admit one of my favorite exhibits was the Mister Rogers exhibit to which I was told by one friend that I showed my age.  I don't know if Mister Rogers had a special connection to New Orleans (I'll have to check that out) or if this was just something that they chose to include in their museum.


This is a replica of a trolley car, specific to New Orleans, and also something from the Mister Rogers show.
Here is an alphabet display, each with a little set of doors, behind which were like a shadow box exhibit. 
Some of the exhibits had special memories from the Mister Rogers television show...such as "Darling Daniel"

...and King Friday....
...and Lady Elaine (even though the poor thing's hand fell off :(

This looked like the puppet castle where King Friday and Lady Elaine lived.
Then of course a boat and a pot of crabs to cook :)

Mister Rogers' shoes...:)
...and the small trolley.....
Something unique to New Orleans would be the port and shipping industry and tourist cruise line industry.

Yes, every children's museum probably has a grocery store, but this one was the best one I've ever seen.  There was so much stuff in it, so realistic, very nice.







Outside the grocery store was a "courtyard" with a horse 'statue'.
There was a section on housing in New Orleans, and creating and drawing up plans for and building houses.

Allison really really enjoyed the restaurant for sure. She spent a lot of time playing in the restaurant.

This was very cool. There was an entire big room dedicated to bubbles...including this do-it-yourself bubble maker in which you can place yourself in a bubble. Very cool!


I only have one picture of this little girl, but she and Allison made fast friends and played together for a long time all over the museum. It's always fun being able to find and make a friend of about your own age to play with in a setting such as this.  It was a lot of fun for both of them I think. 

No comments:

Post a Comment